Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen, Hebrews 11:1.
- By faith we understand….v3
- By faith Abel offered…..v4
- By faith Enoch was translated…..v5
- But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him, Hebrews 11:6
- By faith Noah,….., prepared an ark……..v7
- By faith Abraham,……….., obeyed;…….v8
- By faith he (Abraham) sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country,…….v9
- By faith also Sara………conceived….v11
- These all died in faith,…..v13
- By faith Abraham,….., offered up Isaac:………v17
- By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau……… v20
- By faith Jacob,……., blessed both the sons of Joseph;….v21
- By faith Joseph,……, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel;…v22
- By faith Joseph gave commandment concerning his bones v22
- By faith Moses,……, was hid three months…..,…..; and they were not afraid of the king’s commandment. v23
- By faith Moses,……, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter; v24
- By faith Moses chose rather to suffer affliction……., than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; v25
- By faith Moses esteemed the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt:…V26
- By faith he (Moses) forsook Egypt,………: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible. v27
- Through faith he (Moses) kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood,……v28
- By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land:…..v29
- ….(without faith) the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned v29
- By faith the walls of Jericho fell down,………v30.
- By faith Rahab perished not……, when she had received the spies with peace. v31
- And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthae, David, Samuel, and the prophets. By faith: they subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouth of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens vv 32-34
- By faith women received their dead raised to life again…v35
- ….by faith others were tortured,……..; that they might obtain a better resurrection v35
- By faith others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment, they were stoned, were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; vv 36, 37 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth v38
And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect, Hebrews 11:39-40.
The Bible is filled with stories about people who could have chosen an easier route, but who made sacrifices for Christ. As we consider this Hebrews 11 commentary, remember there are times we will need to make tough choices for our faith. There are also times when we might need to avoid saying or doing something we want to say or do in an effort to live the right way for God.